[SoC] Re: [GRASS-dev] Weekly reports #3 wxNviz

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 07:00:45 EDT 2011

Hello,
I can comment on thematic part as I disabled it.
It was developed as a separate thing and later hacked into rest of
NVIZ code instead of integrating it. Main problem was - design for
sites and not GRASS 6 vectors with normal database, multiple layers
and categories. Also some code changes broke it during 6.4(?)
preparation. I spent some time trying to fix it, but then decided that
it will be more easy to design a new one from scratch than fix
existing code. As always - if anyone is willing to fix it, it's still
possible to do this, still I would better like to see efforts going
into a new and more powerful design in grass 7.

As goes of OGSF vector styling in grass 7 - nothing uses it yet. I
have no formal education in algorithms and data structures thus I
can't say my proposed (and implemented) idea is sound. It should be
made flexible enough to be able to live whole grass 7 lifetime without
changes.

Currently it is not possible to do any vector feature styling for NVIZ
in GRASS 7. If Your GSoC project depends on it, You will have to make
adjustments to Your plans, as, most likely, it will not be ready till
the end of this year (unless miracle happens).

You can search GRASS mailing list archive for OGSF vector styling:
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/OGSF-vector-feature-styling-td3734788.html

If I can help You anyhow, let me know.
Maris.