[SoC] GSoC Weekly report 5 (astronomical image processing plug-in for Opticks)

Yiwei Zhang zhangyiwei79 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:02:22 EDT 2011

Hi, all

I am working on astronomical image processing plug-in for Opticks.

In this week, I begin to implement two kinds of local non-linear sharpeners
for image enhancement.

The first one is the extreme value operator. It creates sharp, objectively
defined boundaries between image features.

The second nonlinear operator is local adaptive sharpener. It is a
detail-enhancing operator that applies a stronger enhancement to low-contras
parts of an image than it does to high-contrast parts. It is an sharpening
mask for which contrast is controlled by neighborhood statistics.

The details of the report can be found at:
http://opticks.org/confluence/display/~yiwei/Status+Report+for+Week+5%2C+GSoC+2011

Next week I will finish the implementation of the nonlinear local
sharpeners