[SoC] Mentor GSoC

Craig Taverner craig at amanzi.com
Sun Mar 20 19:18:34 EDT 2011

Hi,

My name is Craig Taverner and last year I mentored one of the OSGeo
projects: 'Adding support for Neo4j graph database to geotools and uDig'.
The project was successful and I would like to make myself available to
mentor OSGeo projects making use of Neo4j in the 2011 GSoC. With
contributions from both the Neo4j team and the uDig/Geotools teams, we have
started putting together some ideas pages on the Neo4j and uDig wiki's.

   - OSGeo ideas on the uDig wiki:
   http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/HACK/Summer+of+Code
   - Neo4j ideas on the Neo4j wiki:
   http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Google_Summer_of_Code_Ideas

I have been working on and off with uDig for three years, with Neo4j quite
intensely for 1.5 years. I have over 15 years of programming experience,
including leading and managing teams of developers producing both
proprietary and open source software. My current interests involve modeling
complex data structures in the graph database, particularly if there is a
GIS element to this.

I think it would also be very interesting to see Neo4j being integrated into
one of the other OSGeo projects I am not familiar with, however, I assume in
that case I would be a co-mentor.

Regards, Craig