[SoC] Availability for Mentoring Integration projects

tisham at eleceng.adelaide.edu.au tisham at eleceng.adelaide.edu.au
Sat Mar 26 22:19:43 EDT 2011

Hi Paolo,

The python bindings for OTB are not exactly stable and conflict with the
version of python distributed with Osgeo4w. See notes from Julien -

"
We might have problem with the use of the Python wrappings though : the
packaging of this project is not easy, and currently quite difficult on
windows (incompatible with the Python provided by OSGeo4W). It works, but
hard to setup. On linux it is already available in OpenSuse, and soon in
Ubuntu.
"

The C++ code developed can be fairly easily ported to Python using ctypes
or similar at a later date if we design in properly. We will need a couple
of working raster/vector providers for Qgis. We can use the memory
provider to pipe vector data from OTB to Qgis, but the raster section does
not have similar flexibility.

I have heard from 1 student showing some interest. I hope they will put in
a proposal.

I am cross-posting to otb-users list soon.

Cheers,

Tisham.