[SoC] Availability for Mentoring Integration projects

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Mar 27 11:53:57 EDT 2011

See inline reposonses.

On 03/26/2011 07:19 PM, tisham at eleceng.adelaide.edu.au wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> The python bindings for OTB are not exactly stable and conflict with the
> version of python distributed with Osgeo4w. See notes from Julien -

Solvable - The only reason it hasn't been shifted is that all the stuff
with python deps needs to be recompiled against a newer version of
python AFAIK.

> "
> We might have problem with the use of the Python wrappings though : the
> packaging of this project is not easy, and currently quite difficult on
> windows (incompatible with the Python provided by OSGeo4W). It works, but
> hard to setup. On linux it is already available in OpenSuse, and soon in
> Ubuntu.
> "

I think a good goal might be a separate package from the core QGIS, in
the case of ubuntu a deb that is optional. So a side task on this might
be to find a way to build QGIS C++ packages separate from the core and
allow for easy add-on and also allow for optional dep adding to include
otb itself.

> The C++ code developed can be fairly easily ported to Python using ctypes
> or similar at a later date if we design in properly. We will need a couple
> of working raster/vector providers for Qgis. We can use the memory
> provider to pipe vector data from OTB to Qgis, but the raster section does
> not have similar flexibility.

Has someone on the OTB team been paying attention to the raster reproj
branch that's being merged into QGIS 1.7? Does this help? I'm not sure
porting to ctypes solves the compilation issue as the python plugin
installer would not be smart enough to download only the correct
pre-compiled c++ portion (unless that part is in OTB itself).

> I have heard from 1 student showing some interest. I hope they will put in
> a proposal.
>
> I am cross-posting to otb-users list soon.

Great, maybe cross post to qgis-developer too. I think a secondary
mentor from QGIS would be good for this project.

> Cheers,
>
> Tisham.

Thanks,
Alex