[SoC] Re: Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2012 has been anounced

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 01:11:16 EST 2012

Alex wrote:
> Open Hardware, that's a really good question, one I think you should
> talk to Google about. On a spin I'm sure writing code for an
> adruino based sensor kit would qualify.

They've been pretty clear in the past that's the program is
for Code-only, and things like artwork, websites, and documentation,
while all worthy and important are generally out of scope.

Having said that, Etherboot (go Marty!) has participated a number
of times in the past and is quasi-firmware. same is true for
Rockbox.

I would suspect that open firmware would be ok, but things like
open CAD, CNC mill and 3D printer scripts, while code, would
fall into the same grey area as PostScript, which is half
file-format & half programming-language.  shrug, it doesn't
hurt to ask 'em..

> In terms of the other stuff, I would suggest cross posting
> to the OSGeo SoC list as it has most of the mentors from previous
> years who work on things like GRASS, Opticks, SAGA, OTB,etc..
> (All remote sensing platforms & libraries).

indeed, lots of overlap with those ideas. Have a look at our accepted
GSoC projects from 2011 for examples:

http://google-melange.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2011/osgeo

regards,
Hamish