[SoC] OSgeo GSoC - Introduction

Carol Hansen carolbhansen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 19:03:55 EDT 2012

Hello,

My name is Carol Hansen, a Computer Science student in Chicago, finishing
up my senior year. I will be applying for Google Summer of Code 2012, and I
was so excited to see OSGeo as one of the participating organizations.
Primarily, I am interested in applying my degree to GIS. As far as my
skills and background, I am familiar with Java (currently taking a
server-side course and coding Java Servlets and JSPs), Ecplise and RAD,
HTML/CSS, SQL, tiny bit of Python (going over basic scripting in my web-GIS
course this semester), ArcGIS, GRASS, and Google Earth.

There are a number of projects I am interested in contributing to,
particularly with

QuantumGIS and uDIG, but I am having difficulty deciphering which ones I am
best suited for based on my background. I admit some of the Project
suggestions went a little over my head, but they involve technologies I
would love to become familiar with.

Here are a few of the projects I am interested in...Any suggestions?

*QGIS Projects:*

   - QGIS for mobile phone devices
   - QGIS tool for vector data merging
   - Scripting: Make QGIS scriptable, in order to be able to do reperitive
   tasks with a simple scripting language. Qt includes a built in scripting
   interface based on ECMA standards for making applications scriptable.
   - Database Manager: Integrate PostGIS Manager, SpatiaLite Manager,
   RtSqlLayer and other related plugins to create a multi-db manager easily
   expandable to manage other spatial DBs.

*uDIG Projects:*

   - Create an OSM editor in uDig that would be the first full GIS based
   editor (ie. not just a graph editor with background maps)
   - Support powerful OSM data mining capabilities in uDig and Geotools
   (perform queries on open street map not currently possible in existing OSM
   tools, but relatively easy with Neo4j)
   - Support full set of geospatial operations as in PostGIS
   - Create a gis general purpose database plugin for uDig with hibernate
   (also spatial). The plugin would expose extension points to register
   spatially and nonspatially enabled classes. With such a plugin one would be
   able to rely on the neo4j database support easily from any udig plugin
   without having to wonder what database is backing the persistence. Keeping
   the interfaces clear, it would be fairly easy to allow for seamless
   connection to neo4j as to postgis.
   - KML Reader and Writer

What would be the next steps to get involved and contribute?

Thank you!

Carol Hansen