[SoC] OSM and Neo4j in uDig - GSoC Weekly Report

Carol Hansen carolbhansen at gmail.com
Fri May 25 11:06:46 EDT 2012

*Weekly Report for my GSoC Project*
"Implementing route analysis of OSM data within uDig, using Neo4j-Spatial
graph database"

Hoping to have my wiki/official project page up soon.

*== What did I do this week? ==*
*
** Finished Eclipse/uDig tutorials with Jody (mad props and shout out to
him!)
* Did a crash course on some of the Design Patterns discussed...also
reviewed key Java concepts
* Got more familiar with GitHub
* Went through Neo4j setup and tutorials, familiarized myself with
Neo4j-Spatial API (in progress), and attempted to recognize design pattern
within the API
* Discussed with my mentor the next steps

Today I plan to...
* Setup my wiki and project management tool
* Read through OSM documentation and finish Neo4j tutorials
* Import OSM XML file

*== What will I be working on next week? ==*
*
*
* Install a Whiteboard in my living room!!
* continuation of today's tasks (read about OSM structure and how it
applies to Neo4j)
* Look into XOM parser for OSM Importing to Neo4j database
* Attend a Neo4j meetup in Chicago (May 31)

*== Did I meet with any stumbling blocks? ==*

* Wrestled with some of the uDig/Eclipse walkthroughs and configurations
* Never heard of Design Patterns, so had to catch up on some of the key
patterns mentioned the past couple weeks.
* Time management! Juggling so many different pieces and having to
familiarize myself with so many new things at once. I'm hoping this will
smooth out as I learn more. I also plan to set up some kind of Project
Management system to help me stay organized and focused.

Take care,
Carol H.