[SoC] Apply to GSoC

Lord Flaubert Steve Ataucuri Cruz lord.ataucuri at ucsp.edu.pe
Wed Apr 3 16:14:10 PDT 2013

Hi

I'm Steve Ataucuri doing my 10th semester in Computer Science at San Pablo
University, Arequipa-Peru. I would like to contribute to great OSGeo
platform through a project in GSoC 2013.

I was taking about OSgeo4W idea to improving the windows port with Frank
Warmerdam. Who told me that there are several things we could consider
doing on OSGeo4W:

1) Extend the installer to support asking users to agree to licensing
agreements so that we can include proprietary components like the ECW
imagery library, ESRI File GeoDatabase and Oracle OCI libraries making
the software suite much more complete.

2) Consider migrating to a new installation technology.  A contributor
and friend Mateusz Loskot has suggested we consider the newish CoApp
mechanism for building the project.  I have not evaluated this yet
myself.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Charles/Garrett-Serack-Open-Source-on-Windows-and-the-CoApp-Project

3) Setting up a shared OSGeo4W build environment.  Alex Mandel has
setup a Windows VM at the University of California at Davis for our
use.  Traditionally contributors to OSGeo4W build on their own systems
and upload the resulting packages.  A shared build environment would
allow more collaboration - particularly for core components.

4) Prepare 64bit builds.  Traditionally OSGeo4W has been a 32bit
environment.  But it may be time to "flip" to 64bit binaries and
support only 64bit windows systems or even (possibly) support both.

I would like to express my interest in OSGeo4W and If you have some
suggestions to me :) I would realy like to know them. Frank proposed me
that He could be my mentor.

Best regards

--
Steve Ataucuri Cruz