[SoC] GeoTools Module for Surface Model (TIN) API

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Thu May 2 17:00:44 PDT 2013

My nephew Julian, who is currently a civil engineering student working at a
GIS internship for my company, has submitted an application under the
Google Summer of Code umbrella.

His proposal is for the development of a low-level Java API for surface
model (TIN) data. As part of the project we would define a standard text
file format for TIN data and breaklines, provide a reader/writer for that
file format, a builder to construct TIN models from JTS input geometries,
and (if time allows) some basic analysis capabilities.

I've agreed to serve as Julian's mentor for this project, and I've bounced
the project idea of the GeoTools developer's mailing list.

Thanks.

Landon