[SoC] GSoC 13 WR 12 - Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool for uDig

Marco Foi gsoc at mcfoi.it
Mon Sep 9 00:18:19 PDT 2013

GSoC 13 WR 12 - Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool
for uDig

Hi mates!

I’m Marco and I am working on the development of a tool to assess
susceptibility of hydrologically controlled shallow landslides.
The software will be based on the Ph.D. Thesis in Environmental Engineering
by Lanni C. (2012) and will consist of a model available for use within the
uDig/JGrass Spatial Toolbox

These are the tasks I’ve been doing during this third week:

• What did I do this week?

- This week I did added some functionalities to the main model. I could
code and test functions to produce maps of changing psi (suction head) at
soil-bedrock interface due to vertical infiltrations during simulated
rainfall events.
Such maps are computed at 1-hour rainfall intervals until water table is
developed across the whole catchment.
This week I also started the calculation of Concentration Time maps
beginning from building maps of weighting factors such as cumulated soil
thickness or cumulated slope along the flow paths.

• What will I be working on next week?

- Nothing new: I will keep implementing tool logic while updating test
cases and keeping notes on the tool wiki (
https://bitbucket.org/mcfoi/jgrasstool-cislam/issues ) about relevant
issues.

• Did I meet with any stumbling blocks?

- No.