[SoC] UbuntuGIS Weekly Report 3

Ben Caradoc-Davies Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au
Sun Jun 8 19:15:23 PDT 2014

Hi Jérôme,

have you looked at how Debian packages such as tomcat7-admin handle
packing servlets? Even if you are not yet in a position to adopt their
patterns, it would help to inform your approach.

One other problem is GeoServer contains some non-free drivers such as
the Oracle ojdbc14.jar that is bundled with the Oracle plugin. Debian
will require this to be in non-free. Or you could bundle one without
ojdbc14.jar and have a script download it (similar tricks are used to
install flash). ArcSDE also contains non-free drivers. MS SQL drivers
have to be obtained by the user (or at least they were; need to check).

Also, some deployments require JDBC drivers at the tomcat level for JNDI
connection pooling between servletss, and having duplicate drivers on
the classpath can result in Bad Things Happening. The right way to do
with with Debian will be with cunning use of .deb Conflicts.

I am happy for you to go ahead with the simple .war to .deb conversion
as you have described; once this is working a detailed translation to
.deb is a future work.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 08/06/14 23:31, Jerome Villeneuve Larouche wrote:
> I've also participated in the OsgeoLive meeting this week and talked a
> bit about my plans for Java packages. We're thinking of going for a
> quick packaging way first by packaging .war to .deb. It won't be
> accepted on Debian, but for OsgeoLive and UbuntuGIS it would be a quick
> hack to have the packages available. If you have any suggestion or idea
> about that, I would be glad to hear them.

Software Engineer
Australian Resources Research Centre