[SoC] Weekly report 6: Testing framework for GRASS GIS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 15:11:12 PDT 2014

1. What did you get done this week?

I've created a specialized functions to test output of modules such as
r.info and r.univar against a reference set of values. This enables to test
different properties of raster and vector maps and few other things
(practically anything what is provided by some module as key-value pairs).

I also added the MD5 check sum comparison of files. The functionality of
Luca's g.compare.md5 is not yet available but it should be easy to add it
once needed (some merge with the module should be then considered).

The documentation is now updated, so although the framework is not
integrated to GRASS yet, it is be now possible to write tests of GRASS
modules which outputs raster and vector maps (tests of Python and ctypes
function are in some limited way available from the beginning).

I again worked on the ticket #2326 because of its importance. By few
experiments I discovered that there is a lot of hidden errors at least in
GUI which are visible with more strict API. However, I'm not sure if it is
possible to use this more strict API in version 7.x, so for now I used the
ideas to create module calling functions in testing framework (currently
called gunittest package).

 2. What do you plan on doing next week?

The plan is to start integration with GRASS and for the week after the plan
is implementation of location switching for test. I think I will have to
work on both these problems together.

3. Are you blocked on anything?
Not really but it would be very helpful now to have tests of actual modules
to see limitations of my current implementation.

Vaclav

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/sandbox/wenzeslaus/gunittest/testing.rst?rev=61021
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2326
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/sandbox/wenzeslaus/gunittest/gmodules.py?rev=61003