[SoC] Available for mentoring GSoC ideas for GeoNode

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 08:21:25 PDT 2014

Hi list

I am available to mentor/co-mentor a student for the GeoNode project.

GeoNode is an Open Source Content Management System (CMS) for
geospatial data. It is a web-based application and platform for
developing GIS and deploy SDI. It is widely used in several context,
especially for humanitarian emergencies.
Organizations such as World Bank, United Nations World Food Programme,
EU Joint Research Center have widely adopted it, and it has now a
vibrant community of developers [0][1] and users [2].

Though GeoNode is still not incubated in OSGeo, we have started the
process for it, and it is anyway heavily based on other OSGeo projects
such as GeoServer, PostGIS, pycsw and OpenLayers.

I am one of the GeoNode core developers and I am looking forward to
help students willing to start with it.
It is highly desirable that ideas should be modeled around our GeoNode
Improvement Proposals (GNIP [3], [4]).

We already have a few students who contacted the GeoNode list
directly, and we look forward to other people interested (though maybe
it is a bit too late now).

warm regards

[0] https://groups.google.com/a/opengeo.org/forum/#!forum/geonode-dev
[1] https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/graphs/contributors