[SoC] OSGeo GSoC 2015: coding period starts today, May 25

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon May 25 05:29:38 PDT 2015

Hello All, students and mentors!

Today GSoC starts officially, we hope you are ready to code!

Here is the checklist for students, for a smooth SoC start:

Version control system setup

Have you set up your Version Control System to start coding?

Make sure you have write access to the relevant repository. If you don't
have write access by now, ask your mentor about how your project handles
GSoC students access.

Wiki Page

Do you have a page on the wiki of your project?

The wiki page would ideally contain the link of your application in
Melange, a detailed timeline, and links to the weekly reports you will send
along the summer. This is the page you must keep up-to-date about your
progress on the project. From there, you can link any additional resources,
your blog etc.

Weekly email reports

You will send your weekly reports on this (SoC) mailing list and on the
developers mailing list of your project. The first report is due by Sunday,
May 31st.

Note that we have changed the day of the week in which the report is due,
respect to last year, considering the request of the students that carry
out most of the programming during week ends. We will apply some
flexibility for those who wish to send the report on Mondays morning, but
no later than noon anyway. You are requested to send the report email every
week - even if you didn't code because of exams, or holidays, or any other
reason.

Feel free to mail the developers list at any time. You are part of the
community! Remember, the aim of the SoC is to involve new developers in
open source communities, not to pay you for working alone, thus, not
communicating is considered a reason for failing. So, students, please
write the reports, and mentors, remind your students about it.

The report should contain the title of the project in the subject, the link
your wiki page and at least the answers these three questions:

1) What do I have completed this week?

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?

3) Is there any blocking issue?

For any question or clarification, do not hesitate to contact us OSGeo GSoC
admins. Please, do contact us in case you experience problems at any time
during your GSoC, e.g. you are not able to contact your mentors, you
experience communication hurdles or similar issues. Do not wait until it's
too late.

So, happy hacking everyone, and looking forward to reading your first
reports, on Sunday 31st!

Your OSGeo GSoC admins
Madi & Anne