[SoC] [Accepted students] [Action required] Your project's wiki page

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 03:10:57 PDT 2016

Dear Luca,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 27 April 2016 at 17:07, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear accepted students,
> >
> > congratulations once again and welcome on board! You are quite many this
> > year, almost double than last year! In order to better keep track of your
> > work during the summer, I ask your kind cooperation. I created a wiki
> page
> > [1] listing all the accepted proposals. I'd like you to fill the table
> with
> > the relevant links of your project. These are the steps in detail:
> >
> > 1) Please make sure you have writing access to OSGeo wiki, if you don't,
> > please register for an account;
> >
> > 2) Create a wiki page for your project. You can copy the template from
> this
> > page [2]. Remember to keep the Category Google Summer of Code at the
> bottom.
> > Feel free to fill the wiki page copy-pasting verbatim from your GSoC
> > application or elaborating new text. The page is targeting to members of
> the
> > community not necessarily expert of the specific software, who wish to
> > follow the progresses of your work during the summer.
> >

> is this required or could be replaced by a wiki page in other platform?
> usually for grass project we store the pages in our trac (an example [0]
>
> [0] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2015/ImprovedMetadata

No, is not required to create the page on the OSGeo wiki, as stated in
point 4:  "If you wish to create a wiki page on a platform other that OSGeo
wiki, please link that page from the table."
The students need OSGeo wiki credentials only for adding the link to the
table, for the moment. However this is also a way to encourage them to get
the credentials now, because last year there was a little bit of confusion
at the end of GSoC when the students were asked to fill the wiki page of
results. I had to track down them and send email for months and many of
them hadn't filled it just because had problems interacting with the wiki.
I want to fix potential problems well in advance this year also because we
have many more students.

Thanks,

--
Margherita Di Leo