[SoC] Weekly report 12 (August 14th, 2016) - Martina Di Rita OSSIM

Martina Di Rita martina.dirita at uniroma1.it
Wed Aug 17 05:17:20 PDT 2016

<https://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/wiki/ACompletePhotogrammetricOSSIMtoolForAutomaticDSMenerationUsingMultiViewOpticalAndSARimages#WeeklyReport1214thAugust2016>Dear
all,

hereafter the text of my last report.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE IDEA:

My project concerned the improvement and the implementation of new
functionalities for DATE (Digital Automatic Terrain Extractor) OSSIM
plug-in, which development I had started two years ago. In particular the
focus was about the complete automatization of the pyramidal approach of
the tool chain and the creation of a complete workflow for DSMs generation
from SAR images.

THE STATE OF THE PROJECT AS IT WAS BEFORE MY 2016 GSoC:

Before this GSoC, DATE was an OSSIM plug-in for DSMs generation from
optical stereo-pair and triplets, not able to process SAR images. Moreover,
if you have got more than a triplets, for example a stack of images, you
had to manually merge the DSMs obtained to fuse the informations.
Furthermore, the pyramidal approach implemented was not automatic.

THE ADDITION THAT MY PROJECT BROUGHT TO THE SOFTWARE:

My work has complemented OSSIM with some processing algorithms for high
resolution satellite optical and SAR images. With my addition, now it is
possible to generate automatically DSMs from SAR imagery using an iterative
coarse-to-fine approach, to take advantage of iterative solutions at
gradually increasing resolution. Furthermore, I have implemented automatic
masks generation for foreshortening and layover areas in SAR images: so
far, it is possible to generate a DSM from SAR imagery (automatically
detecting the ascending or descending orbit), masked for foreshortening and
layover areas in order to correct from potential geometric distortions.
Moreover, in order to obtain a more accurate DSM by exploiting the
redundancy of multiple information, I have implemented the DSMs merging on
the basis of mean and standard deviation of ascending and descending stacks
and of the automated generated masks for foreshortening and layover areas
in SAR images.

Here ​https://github.com/martidi/opencv_dsm/tree/imageStack you can find
all the code I developed and the instructions to test it.

Here
https://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/wiki/ACompletePhotogrammetricOSSIMtoolForAutomaticDSMenerationUsingMultiViewOpticalAndSARimages#WeeklyReport1214thAugust2016
you can find all my weekly reports.

Here https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rsn1cxpulpg4ox/Slide%20per%20Report.pdf?dl=0
a slide to show the main elements of my project.

Martina

--
Martina Di Rita, *PhD Student*
Geodesy and Geomatics Division