[SoC] Newcomer to the community

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 05:52:35 PST 2016

[please keep the list in cc, as other students can benefit of the info]

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Satyaki Upadhyay <satyaki3794 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 18 February 2016 at 18:47, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Satyaki,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Satyaki Upadhyay <satyaki3794 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>

>>> My name is Satyaki and I'm a newcomer to the OSGeo community. I want to
>>> contribute to this project. I have been an active participator in
>>> programming contests like ACM-ICPC and on online judges over the last two
>>> years (am comfortable in C++).
>>> Codeforces -    http://codeforces.com/profile/satyaki3794
>>> Topcoder -       https://www.topcoder.com/members/satyaki3794/
>>> SPOJ -             http://www.spoj.com/users/satyaki3794/
>>>

>>> I am new to open source development and want to get involved using
>>> Google Summer of Code. I have not used geospatial softwares before but it
>>> sound interesting and am willing to learn. So if that is is not an issue,
>>> can someone please tell me what skills are needed and how I can get started?
>>>

>> Thank you for your interest.  Please visit our recommendations for
>> students page [1] and let us know if you experience problems in finding
>> relevant information, we will update it according to feedback.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> [1]
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Recommendations_for_Students
>>
>> --
>> Margherita Di Leo
>>

> Thanks for your reply, Margherita. I have already gone through that wiki
> and the ideas page. My main concern is that I have not had exposure to
> geospatial softwares till now, but am willing to learn. Prior experience
> with GIS is also mentioned in the GSoC application template provided. Will
> that be a major factor on how students are shortlisted?

It really depends on the situation. It's rather a question for yourself
than for me. GSoC at OSGeo is not a matter on programming standalone
applications. The development should integrate into existing software, and
the prior knowledge of the software is essential. However, you can test
yourself. Browse the ideas page, pick one idea and work on it. Install the
software and the development environment and see if you can find your way.
If it takes too long to learn, it's ok. You can still develop something at
your pace and next year apply for GSoC with more experience..

Hope this helps,
Cheers

--
Margherita Di Leo