[SoC] Report 7 - OGC protocols support within OL3-Google-Maps

Samuel Lapointe samuellapointe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 12:29:40 PDT 2016

Hello everyone, here’s my seventh report for the OL3-Google-Maps project.

Link to the library: https://github.com/mapgears/ol3-google-maps

Link to the website: http://mapgears.github.io/ol3-google-maps/

What did you get done this week?

   -

   I worked on a bug where text labels would overlap markers in Google
   Maps. This happens because Google Maps doesn’t support text labels using
   its default API, so we use a small library that adds support for these
   labels by drawing them into canvases onto the Google Maps map.

However, markers are still rendered on tiles, which means text labels are
always in front of every marker. To fix this, I made the markers render the
same way text labels do, on canvases. It also allows new options such as
opacity. It still needs to be reviewed before it’s released though.

What do you plan on doing next week?

   -

   Next week is mostly dedicated to automatic testing. I will learn how to
   use Travis CI and use it to automatically do small tests on new pull
   requests. This will make it easier for us to test fixes from the community.
   -

   I also plan to upgrade OpenLayers 3 to the latest version, and release a
   new version if everything goes well.

Are you blocked on anything?

   -

   Nope.