[SoC] Report 10 - QGIS Resources Sharing Tools

Akbar Gumbira akbargumbira at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 13:39:15 PDT 2016

*What did you get done this week?*

   - *Implemented style resource handler*

User can now also put style (qml file) in the collection.

   - *Fixed issues on windows*

It should be testable now on Windows. There is an issue on windows while
downloading the repository using ssh. I haven't prevented that (e.g
restricting to use https only when adding a repository in the settings -
but I guess it's easier to do this rather than checking if the host has ssh
installed)

   - *Wrote some documentation* (
   http://www.akbargumbira.com/qgis_resources_sharing/)

   - *Implemented file system handler*

User can now use repository in the local file system. The URI should have
this format: file://<path to the repo root>. On Windows it looks something
like this *file://C:/home/akbar/repo. *On linux: *file:///home/akbar/repo*.
This could be useful for:

   - Testing if the repository works fine before pushing to
      github/bitbucket (user can try to add a repo in the stting
pointing to the
      filesystem)
      - In case someone wants to use private repo, they can pull it to
      their local machine, and just use that local clone
      - Sharing the repository on the network

*What do you plan on doing next week?*

   - Documentation and unittests
   - Using QGIS authentication system in the settings tab when adding a
   repository (this would be easy in the case of fetching metadata from the
   repository, but might be tricky for cloning/pulling repository itself)
   - Ale and I had a talk on friday and zip repository handler might be
   useful for users (i.e the author makes a zip of the repository on publish
   it somewhere online). With the current implementation of repository handler
   (the metadata must be inside the repository itself), this might take some
   effort to implement. We don't want to download the whole zip just to get
   the metadata file. Ale's idea is to separate the metadata and in the
   metadata, additional things has to be defined: the protocol (e.g git, file
   system handler, or ftp, scp maybe in the future), and the location of the
   repository itself. I am a bit hesitant with this idea from the beginning
   (Ale already suggested this before :)) as I think the metadata and the
   repository must be in the same directory. It's nice to not have the
   protocol and the location of the repository statically defined. As I
   mentioned earlier with file system handler, user now can clone private
   repository in github/bitbucket and use file system handler. There's no need
   to change the metadata of the repository before using it (this is needed if
   we want to take Ale's idea). Anyway, I'll think about this over the weekend
   and see if I could implement this on time and still have time to polish
   things up.

*Are you blocked on anything?*
No, just need to have more opinions on the situation I mentioned above.

Have a nice weekend. Cheers!