[SoC] PLEASE READ BEFORE SENDING YOUR 12th AND FINAL REPORT: requirements and guidelines

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sat Aug 19 02:26:34 PDT 2017

***[Resender of: IMPORTANT: Guidelines for your final report / your work submission:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2017-August/003827.html]***
*[See also: GSoC 2017 - keep on track for the final coding weeks:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2017-August/003792.html]*
***[to study before sending final report: Work submission guidelines
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/work-product]***

Dear students,

as the first final reports, not following the requirements and guidelines, are already coming in, here a friendly reminder:

***
You should allocate the last week mainly to code cleanup, documentation and
testing.

Your last / final report will be different from the previous ones because
will be the link that you will provide for the final submission (you will
submit the URL of your email in SoC mailing list), so please pay extra care
when you submit it and read carefully the _Work submission guidelines_ at
[1]. Remember: once you submit your final evaluation, you can not change it.

Your final report should follow the template provided hereinafter:

1- The title of the project and the software community it belongs to (for
hybrid projects indicate all the software involved);

2- Abstract: a description of the general idea, motivation, challenges,
etc.;

3- The state of the art BEFORE your GSoC. For example, if you made a GUI,
you can say: "In the software XYZ, when I wanted to use the tool xxx, I had
to manually edit the file yyy";

4- The addition (added value) that your project brought to the software. In
the same example: "With the GUI that I created, now it is possible to use
the tool xxx via graphical user interface";

5- If there is still work to be done on the project, include that too. You
can also share highlights or challenging pieces.

6- Add all the permanent links to access the code and documentation for the
user to get started with testing your application. "Please test my code
following instructions here". (Please, test that the links are working and
do not require special access permissions!)

7- At least an image that should serve to show the main elements of your
project. It could be a flow chart, a screenshot, both, or whatever you
think could serve for the scope. Remember: the aim is to showcase your
project to people that are not necessarily familiar with the software. The
image must  be loaded on a public repository or in the web page / wiki of
your project and the link  shall be included in your report.

8- Optional: you can add links to videos, blog posts etc. that you have
created.

Remember the main requirements of your final submission URL (failing to
meet the requirements means failing your final evaluation):

   -

   It must be easy to identify the work you have done. (i.e. the changes
   you made or new code.)
   -

      When someone goes to the provided URL it should be clear what work
      you did without requiring them to do significant additional digging.
      -

   It should be in a stable location. The URL cannot be changed after
   submission.
   -

   Someone else should be able to use the content at (or referenced from)
   the target of the link to extend your work.
   -

      If your work is 100% complete, they should be able to use it.
      -

      If your work is not 100% complete, it should be clear what's left to
      do.

Please let us know if you have doubts or need assistance.

That's all from us! We would like to thank you for your commitment and
thank all the mentors that dedicated their valuable time to your guidance.

Looking forward to reading your summaries!

Good luck for the final evaluations!

[1] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/work-product
***

Your OSGeo GSoC admins