[SoC] Web API plugin for QGIS

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Tue May 23 09:16:13 PDT 2017

Hi Kevin

Thank you for the introduction. We are looking forward to seeing your work
come to fruition. Please do subscribe to and share your work on the QGIS
Developer mailing list too so that you get good engagement from the
community during your GSOC too.

Thanks

Regards

Tim

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Kevin Stadler <
e0425926 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> my GSoC 2017 project is about developing a slim plugin for QGIS
> Desktop which exposes the visualisation and processing functions of a
> running QGIS instance via a simple programming language-independent
> web service interface which can be used as a sort of programmatic
> 'remote
> control'. One motivation behind the idea was to give direct access to
> QGIS' map styling tools to GIS-savvy but otherwise 'mapping-deficient'
> (and generally interaction-poor) programming languages, in particular
> R (see also https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2016-
> August/024817.html)
>
> The project also covers fleshing out some specific use cases that show
> how the plugin can be used to integrate QGIS into an automatic report
> generation workflow. The approach of having data processing+analysis
> code+documentation all in one file has been made popular by
> technologies such as Jupyter notebooks and Rmarkdown, and I'm hoping
> to demonstrate how this approach can be extended to GIS analyses which
> combine QGIS functionality with that of other geoprocessing libraries
> and data sources in a fully automated workflow.
>
> About myself: while I have a background in software engineering, my
> interaction with GIS software has so far been limited to casual/hobby
> projects. I've been toying with map creation based on
> mapnik/OSM/PostGIS, so far using QGIS for visualisation/data
> exploration rather than processing. I therefore also expect to learn a
> lot of new things through the project, in particular getting a better
> insight into the breadth of use cases that are of interest to GIS
> professionals!
>
> (I have yet to update the OSGeo wiki with my project details but the
> 'Request account' page has been throwing a 500 status back at me for
> the last couple days, let's hope it works again soon!)
>
> Best,
> Kevin

*Tim Sutton*
QGIS Project Steering Committee Chair