[SoC] Week 2 report: Creation of a new GRASS GIS startup mechanism
L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Fri Jun 12 11:35:08 PDT 2020
I am sending my report for Week 2 (June 8-June 12). The report can also be
found in the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/…dow
1) What did I complete this week?
I focused mainly on completing the PR (see https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/
pull/670(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/670)) regarding the EPSG page.
New things that are already incorporated:
* remove path to "/usr/share/proj/epsg"
* merge search and EPSG code text inputs
* searching in a list on the fly
* if epsg code is empty, nothing is selected and "next" button is not
* change informative URL according to a query string (link to epsg.io)
Other two PRs were established:
* Startup GUI automatic detection of grassdata: make case independent
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/664), see https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/issues/644(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/644)). Detects a
grassdata directory if present, but it does not detect GRASSDATA,
Grassdata, or any other possible combinations of cases. It should be
independent to allow for different cultures of case usage in file and
* Create grassdata automatically on the first GUI startup (see https://
After starting GRASS GIS with GUI, the GUI now searches for existing
grassdata. If nothing is found, GRASS GIS (GUI) should automatically create
a directory named grassdata as a subdirectory of a platfrom-dependent
directory. This platfrom-dependent directory would be:
1. $HOME (os.path.expanduser('~(http://os.path.expanduser('~)')) on Linux
and the like,
2. User's Documents on Windows (see dac6d4a for code trying to identify
3. One of the above on macOS - macOS users, please share your ideas.
4. If that fails, it should use a temporary directory (/tmp/... etc.) as
Those PRs are still in progress.
2) What am I going to achieve next week?
I would definitely work on finishing PRs see https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/664(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/664) and https://github.
com/OSGeo/grass/pull/705(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/705). Then I
will continue in work on Location Wizard particularly Projection page and
Final Page. The labels in some pages will be also probably somehow changed,
so far it was not addressed.
3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, it isn't.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SoC