[SoC] Request to contribute in QGIS project through GSoC 2020

BELGACEM NEDJIMA gb_nedjima at esi.dz
Mon Mar 2 14:20:33 PST 2020

Hi OSGeo mentors,

I am Nedjima Belgacem, fourth year computer science and engineering student at ESI-Algiers (Ecole superieur d’informatique), Algeria.
I would like to work on QGIS project and improve QGIS 3D. I worked with geographical information systems before (ArcGIS) during one of the optional courses at my school. During the course I questioned the use of ArcGIS instead of the open source alternative QGIS and the answer was that ArcGIS have better 3D capabilities, so I would like to extend 3D features in QGIS so that I can hopefully convince the teacher to switch to QGIS.
For my technical knowledge, I am proficient at C++ and python, I use QT a lot and have worked previously on 3D graphics using OpenGL and tried to implement my own crude graphics engine as a hobby project. Also, I participate in competitive programming regularly and have good problem solving skills.
I would be very happy to contribute to this open source project in GSoC and beyond.
I want to discuss the features in demand for the project and issues that need to be resolved with the potential mentors for this project to make a good proposal for GSoC.
My GitHub profile : https://github.com/NEDJIMAbelgacem
Thank you for this great opportunity, I hope I hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Nedjima