[SoC] GSoC 2021 - Francesco Bursi - A new render type: On-the-fly Raster Calculator for QGIS

Francesco Bursi francesco.bursi at hotmail.it
Wed May 26 10:51:10 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm Francesco Bursi an M.Sc Civil Eng  currently enrolled at Advanced Master on "GIScience and Unmanned System" with specialization in GISCIENCE and GEOINFORMATICS at the University of Padua, in Italy.  You can find me on GitHub [1] and LinkedIn [2].

I would like to thank the OSGeo and QGIS community for this big opportunity since I will work under the OSGeo organization  on the QGIS software (original repository [3]) thanks to the GSoC.

My project for GSoC 2021 is "A new render type: On-the-fly Raster Calculator for QGIS" as you can see in [4]. The main aim of the project come out after some community feedback and some calls with mentors, so during this summer I will work on the implementation of a new virtual raster data provider that would be useful to compute some raster algebra operation on a raster file without the need to take disk space (because it should avoid the creation of derived files) and with the possibility to see the results of the computation on the fly on the screen.

I will work on a GitHub QGIS fork [5] and I will update the weekly reports on the wiki page I've created [6].
So far I've accomplished the following tasks:

  *   Set up of the development environment for QGIS (build the code from source, fork  [5] the official repo, start to dive into the code base);
  *   Introduce myself over the channel and shared my proposal on the mailing list for suggestions and feedbacks;
  *   Get in contact with mentors, try to code something and look for some small bugfix I can work on;
  *   Create a wiki page for the project  [6] and my User page [7];
  *   Join Slack channel created by mentors;

I'm a "QGIS enthusiast" and I already received some feedback from the community for the proposal, I'm very happy to participate to this project.
I'm open to get any suggestions and feedback from the community.

Best regards,

Francesco Bursi

[1] https://github.com/Franc-Brs
[2] https://www.linkedin.com/in/francesco-bursi<https://www.linkedin.com/in/francesco-bursi-72aa12140/><https://www.linkedin.com/in/francesco-bursi-72aa12140/>