[SoC] GSoC Project - OSGeo and FOSS4G App

Sunveer Singh singhsunveer54 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 05:04:46 PDT 2022

Hello All,

I am Sunveer, I have been part of the OSGeo community since 2017. In
2017, I was named Grand Prize Winner by my outstanding more than 70
contributions to OSGeo, similarly in 2018, I was named Finalist by OSGeo
and in 2019 I was mentoring GCI with OSGeo. Other than that, I have been
contributing to individual OSGeo organizations as well.

As I am in college now, I want to be part of GSoC with OSGeo. My project
idea is very different and is for whole OSGeo and FOSS4G community, my idea
is to create an app for OSGeo and FOSS4G all together, I tried to bring
this in 2019 when mentoring for OSGeo in GCI and I think it could be a
great initiative this time. First of all, the app would have
everything related to OSGeo and FOSS4G i.e every content from the website.
Moving forward:
 - Complete listing of events(all past and future events) in the app from
backend which will include registration, scheduling, proposal submission
etc.
 - A complete chat/conversation groups, while we use many other platforms
for chat, a app could be great place to discuss ideas and have conversation
with part of community, this section will be separated into two parts:
first will be common OSGeo community chat and second will be individual
organization chat, any individual who downloads the app can come and have
conversation just like other online platforms.
 - Latest new articles, blogs etc
 -  Management of FOSS4G events, it is just similar to first point, but
with more options for eg, a ticket which will be in app like a QR code to
enter the FOSS4G event, activity schedule, Talk & Workshop schedule and
submission and everything.

There are more ideas and we can think of more, this can be a really great
and big project for OSGeo as well. I am planning to work in Flutter & Dart,
I have been building mobile apps for 3 years now.

Let me know what you all think.
Thank You
Sunveer
https://sunveersingh.github.io/