[SoC] GSoC Project - OSGeo and FOSS4G App

Ashish Kumar ashishkr23438 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 05:03:24 PDT 2022

Hi Sunveer,

Great to hear from you. Glad to know that you are interested in continuing
your contributions to OSGeo with GSoC, and apologies for the delayed
response.

We highly encourage students to submit new ideas, and your idea looks very
interesting to us, but we had the following queries:

   1. One significant objective of the GSoC projects is sustainability. It
   means that even if the contributor is not able to continue with
   contributions, the community would keep on working on the topic. We were
   wondering how it could be worked on as to who will handle/update the app
   once the GSoC is over. One approach could be to associate it with some
   OSGeo project, such as the OSGeo website, to maintain your project even
   after GSoC.
   2. We were wondering what difference a mobile app will create w.r.t the
   OSGeo website? I suppose that the community members hardly prefer using
   mobile phones for such stuff (we need the community feedback for that).
   Personally, if I urgently need to browse such things on my phone, I
   directly open the URL on my phone browser, which is not a very good
   experience, but sufficient enough for me.
   3. It could be a bit similar to reinventing the wheel, as we are not
   sure if the community wants a consolidated mobile application for browsing
   OSGeo content and FOSS4G. Maybe something urgently required, maybe not.
   4. We might also need to check if the listing of events, news items,
   etc., could be provided using an API, as we would want to create them only
   once but view them both on the website and the mobile application. We don't
   want to exclude the news items from the website or create them separately
   for mobile & website. If such an API is not available, it needs to be
   created, and the website might also need to be modified accordingly, which
   could be a very big task as far as GSoC is concerned.

Please do share your thoughts so that we can come up with a common plan. In
any case, we encourage you to submit a proposal if you are interested and
ask for mentors (for evaluating the proposal and mentoring throughout the
GSoC) who could come on board. We would also help you as much as we can.

Also, we highly recommend you to look at the GSoC 2022 Ideas page [1] and
get in touch with them. There are a lot of interesting projects floated by
the OSGeo participating organizations.

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2022_Ideas

Best wishes,
OSGeo GSoC Admins Team