[SoC] Week 1 Report: Integrating Node.js with ZOO-services

Momtchil Momtchev momtchil at momtchev.com
Fri Jun 17 14:28:50 PDT 2022

Hello,

The first week of GSoC is now over and I am pleased to report the
successful completion of my tasks for this week:

* Creating a new base Docker image for zoo-kernel including a build of
the latest LTS release of `libnode.so`

     - Dockerfile available at
https://github.com/mmomtchev/ZOO-Project/blob/nodejs/Dockerfile-libnode

     - Docker image available as `mmomtchev/ubuntu-libnode`

* Building zoo-kernel linked with `libnode.so`

* Implementing a new type of service, a `NODEJS` service

* Adding a new sample Node.js service, a `hello_nodejs` that currently
uses a hard-coded linked-in JS script

* Testing the new service end-to-end with a XML request, the XML request
that can be used after a `docker compose up` from the branch is
available here:
https://gist.github.com/mmomtchev/5765a1e02135e2c7d1bfca973fed5ec1

Source code of the modified zoo-kernel is available here:

https://github.com/mmomtchev/ZOO-Project/tree/nodejs

Next week was normally dedicated to testing the building of the modified
zoo-kernel on various Linux distributions, macOS and Windows but since
this task will probably not serve its initial purpose, I plan on
beginning the work scheduled for week 3 - integrating the C++ and JS
objects. The now free week 3 could probably be used for creating a
`libnode` Ubuntu PPA, a project that will benefit not only ZOO-Project
but also the Node.js and open-source communities as a whole, pending an
approval from the ZOO-Project team.

--
Cordialement,
Momtchil Momtchev <momtchil at momtchev.com>