[Southeast-US] NCSU: Geospatial data visualization and lidar point cloud processing (Aug 2, Raleigh)

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 08:42:56 PDT 2017

Center for Geospatial Analytics at North Carolina State University
announces a summer Geospatial Studio featuring Geospatial data
visualization and lidar point cloud processing using Blender and GRASS GIS
(see full descriptions of the sessions below).

Payam Tabrizian, Anna Petrasova, Vaclav Petras, and Helena Mitasova will
lead hands-on sessions during a Summer Geospatial Studio on *Wednesday,
August 2* in Jordan Hall, room 5103 (2800 Faucette Boulevard, Raleigh).

Lunch will be provided. Bring your laptop and feel free to come for the
whole day or just a part of it.

9:00am-11:30am (2.5 hour) Introduction to geospatial data visualization in
Blender
11:30am-12:30pm (1 hour) Lunch break
12:30pm-2:30pm (2 hours) Introduction to GRASS GIS
2:30pm-3:00pm (30 minutes) Break
3:00pm-5:00pm (2 hours) Lidar point cloud processing in GRASS GIS

Please RSVP using this form: https://goo.gl/forms/oo9OzyODhoUvA1lg2

*Introduction to geospatial data visualization in Blender:* In this
hands-on workshop we will explore how to automate importing and processing
of various types of geospatial data using Blender, an open-source 3D
modeling and game engine software. We will start with a brief and focused
introduction into Blender graphical user interface (GUI), Python API, as
well as the GIS add-on. Once we import our GIS data into Blender, we will
go over the techniques (both with GUI and command line) to increase the
realism of our 3D world through applying textures, shading, and lighting.

*Introduction to GRASS GIS:* We will go through simple examples of vector,
raster, and image processing functionality and we will try couple of new
and old tools such as vector network analysis or image segmentation which
might be the reason you want to use GRASS GIS. We aim this workshop at
absolute beginners without prior knowledge of GRASS GIS, but we hope it can
be useful also to current users looking for deeper understanding of basic
concepts or the curious ones who want to try the latest additions to GRASS
GIS.

*Lidar point cloud processing in GRASS GIS:* We will explore the properties
of the point cloud, interpolate surfaces, and perform advanced terrain
analyses to detect landforms and artifacts. We will go through several
terrain 2D and 3D visualization techniques to get more information out of
the data and finish with vegetation analysis.