[Southeast-US] Hello From Pennsylvania

Silas Mathes silas.mathes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 08:29:42 PDT 2019

Bill,

If you just need a quick custom field map on your phone and you're not
collecting much data, I would recommend using the Avenza PDF maps app (it's
free for up to 3 active maps).

The workflow is to make a map in QGIS and export it as a PDF or GeoTiff (I
just tested my QGIS 3.4.4 install and it now exports georeferenced PDFs).
Email the map to yourself and open it up on your phone as you normally
would view any PDF file.  One of the options under the rectangle-arrow icon
on the bottom left will be to copy to Avenza Maps. From there, the app is
pretty intuitive.

The Avenza app will let you collect some waypoints that can be emailed as
Google Earth KMLs and brought back into QGIS.  If you're doing extensive
data collection, there are better options.  Maybe others could chime in
with their favorite tools?

Hope this helps,

Silas Mathes