[OSGeo-Standards] OGC name for a tile cache

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Dec 5 17:31:35 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:37:47AM +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> On the Mapbuilder list, have been debating the name of the OGC name for a
> tile cache, in particular, how we should reference it in a OWS Context
> document.
> We have heard rumours that Tile Cache will be called OGC:WMS-T.
>
> Currently we reference a Tile Cache as:
>    <Layer queryable="0" hidden="0">
>      <Server service="OGC:WMS-C" version="1.0.0" title="Tiled Cache">
>        <OnlineResource xlink:type="simple"
>        xlink:href="http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0"/>
>      </Server>
>
> I realise Tile Cache is not an official OGC standard yet, but we already
> support it, are about to release a version of Mapbuilder, and would like to
> ensure our Context documents are backwardly compatable.

Note that the cached tiles that you are currently supporting is not at
all compatible with the cached tiles that OGC is contemplating: they are
two entirely different beasts, and so the name of this should not be
concerned about how to *match* the OGC development, but instead how to
*not* match the OGC development so you can have two different names.

I'm also not sure that the osgeo standards list is the right place to
email, since no one on the OSGeo list is, afaik, directly involved in
the creation of the new OGC standard.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt