[Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Standards] OGC name for a tile cache]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 15:22:11 EST 2007

Some clarification from Cubewerx:

Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos wrote:
Cameron,

First, as the editor of the WFS specification, I can tell you that the
suffix '-T' has no official meaning whatsoever.  Sure, lots of people
with a penchant for acronyms attach all sorts of suffixes to WFS (WFS-T,
WFS-X, WRS-blah) to mean one thing or another but the specification
itself does not use any of these suffixes.  It simply define two
conformance classes based on the operations that the server offers.

As for the web map tiling service, the official acronym is WMTS.  This
is not considered to be a WMS with tiling capabilities but an entirely
new service API for a tiled mapping service.

Ciao.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect