[Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Standards] OGC name for a tile cache]

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Dec 9 16:31:12 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 07:22:11AM +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Some clarification from Cubewerx:
>
> Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos wrote:
> Cameron,
>
> First, as the editor of the WFS specification, I can tell you that the
> suffix '-T' has no official meaning whatsoever.  Sure, lots of people
> with a penchant for acronyms attach all sorts of suffixes to WFS (WFS-T,
> WFS-X, WRS-blah) to mean one thing or another but the specification
> itself does not use any of these suffixes.  It simply define two
> conformance classes based on the operations that the server offers.
>
> As for the web map tiling service, the official acronym is WMTS.  This
> is not considered to be a WMS with tiling capabilities but an entirely
> new service API for a tiled mapping service.

Good to know that they've gone against all the recommendations of the
tiling group at FOSS4G2006...

I'm Still waiting for the document to be published publicly so that I
can offer feedback. We were told 'Soon' at FOSS4G2007, and I've not
heard anything yet. This is beyond a level that I would describe as
'soon'. Can anyone at OGC comment on that? Or did I miss something
becoming available? I have been keeping an eye out.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta