[OSGeo-Standards] Re: OGC Meeting in Stresa - any news?

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Tue Dec 11 13:28:06 EST 2007

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Hi,
> Jeroen couldn't make it but Jo and Adrian are here. I didn't hear from
> anybody else through this list. There are more folks more or less involved
> with FOSS but not directly associated with OSGeo. Most at least are aware
> of OSGeo which is a signal that we are catching on.

Cool; do try and find Martin Desruisseaux; he is one of the pillars of
the Java community (just hard to find and talk to).
> Tomorrow is the ORCHESTRA day (parallel and woven into the OGC meeting)
> and they invited me to give a presentation on Open Source; interestingly
> in the Business Block. For those who did not notice, ORCHESTRA applied for
> incubation some time back[1] but OSGeo was slightly at a loss what to do
> about this because it is very different to all projects that have come
> under the OSGeo roof so far.

I missed this one; or did not understand it. Perhaps I still do not?
> is a place to talk to and with "the industry". This is one of the main
> personal reasons why I am here, I want the FOSS world to be perceived as
> part of the industry and not leave that to the proprietary corporates
> only.
Sounds good; and thanks for giving people a face to associate with
OSGeo; it does help.
> Still reading? Amazing, considering that this is the standards and not the
> advocacy list - sorry for burbling...

So to drag you back on track:
- anything fun on the standards side of things?
- can you hunt down the GeoAPI working group and see if they need any
help setting up
- how do I go about asking for one of the foundations OGC memberships;
so I can help kick GeoAPI back into official status w/ respect to OGC

Jody
[-1] A footnote? In an email?