[Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Standards] OGC name for a tile cache]

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Dec 13 07:51:07 EST 2007

On Tue, December 11, 2007 11:26, creed at opengeospatial.org wrote:
> One of the OGC documents approved for public release is the Tiled WMS
> Discussion Paper. A Discussion Paper is not an official position of the
> OGC. A Discussion Paper is released for information, discussion, and
> comment. The Tiled WMS paper represents one proposal for how tiling should
>  be handled when using a WMS. There are obviously other approaches, many
> of which have been discussed in the OGC WMS Revision Working Group.
>
> The URL to the OGC Discussion Paper page is
> http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/dp
>

> Scroll down until you find the document.
>

> Hope this helps.
>

> Regards
>

> Carl

Hi,
potentially confusing people this same document also appears in the
standards section of the portal at:
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wms

To not confuse things resources should only have one representation
(RESTaway).

The document r3 is in the process of being released for public discussion.
It is the more interesting one because it proposes to create a separate
Tile Service that lives independently of WMS. I personally don't think
that this is a good idea.

Once that document is free to go public this afternoon I will put it
somewhere and send the pointer here so we don't have to wait for the
official machinery to process this.

Regards,
Arnulf.

>> Peter, Edric,
>> You may be able to answer Chris's questions.
>>

>> Christopher Schmidt wrote:

>>> Good to know that they've gone against all the recommendations of the
>>>  tiling group at FOSS4G2006...
>>>
>>> I'm Still waiting for the document to be published publicly so that I
>>>  can offer feedback. We were told 'Soon' at FOSS4G2007, and I've not
>>> heard anything yet. This is beyond a level that I would describe as
>>> 'soon'. Can anyone at OGC comment on that? Or did I miss something
>>> becoming available? I have been keeping an eye out.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> Geospatial Systems Architect
>> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
>> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>>

>> Think Globally, Fix Locally
>> Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
>> http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com