[Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Standards] OGC name for a tile cache]

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Dec 13 08:36:55 EST 2007

On Sun, December 9, 2007 22:31, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 07:22:11AM +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
>> Some clarification from Cubewerx:
>>

>> Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos wrote:
>> Cameron,
>>

>> First, as the editor of the WFS specification, I can tell you that the
>> suffix '-T' has no official meaning whatsoever.  Sure, lots of people
>> with a penchant for acronyms attach all sorts of suffixes to WFS
>> (WFS-T,
>> WFS-X, WRS-blah) to mean one thing or another but the specification
>> itself does not use any of these suffixes.  It simply define two
>> conformance classes based on the operations that the server offers.
>>
>> As for the web map tiling service, the official acronym is WMTS.  This
>> is not considered to be a WMS with tiling capabilities but an entirely
>> new service API for a tiled mapping service.
>
> Good to know that they've gone against all the recommendations of the
> tiling group at FOSS4G2006...

Yes, I don't get it either.

> I'm Still waiting for the document to be published publicly so that I
> can offer feedback. We were told 'Soon' at FOSS4G2007, and I've not heard
> anything yet. This is beyond a level that I would describe as 'soon'. Can
> anyone at OGC comment on that? Or did I miss something becoming available?
> I have been keeping an eye out.

I am working on it. A combination of gentle stubbornness and persistent
patience will get us there eventually.

Ah, there it is up as a motion. Small detail: r3 will *not* replace r2
because it proposes something completely different (new service instead of
extension to WMS). r3 will get a new name. Approved.

I just uploaded both to www.mapbender.org/o-g-c-temp for your scrutiny.
Please do not spread this url or reference it. I will add a HTTP status
codes 309 Moved Permanently with the new URI as soon as the original and
the renamed r3 are available at the OGC. ((Mapbender has nothing to do
with any of this its just a box I have access to and nobody can object me
doing this there...))

Regards, Arnulf.

> Regards,
> --