[OSGeo-Standards] Fw: Re: [geo-discuss] Consultation in INSPIRE metadata

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Dec 16 16:28:09 EST 2007

Original got caught by mailman, didn't see it in geo-discuss moderate list.
Interesting, though maybe more so for the dedicated standards-wankers
than the gonzo lobbyists among us. Circling on...

----- Forwarded message from "andre at openstandards.de" <andre at openstandards.de> -----

The metadata consultation uses an Microsoft excel form that ressembles
those common by the international standards organisation. Some of you
may object that file format but it is the only one they accept.
Compatibility with ISO 26300:2006 could be sought in that matter if felt
important.

I was confused by the consideration of the existing standard ISO 19115
that the inspire metadata project aims to "revise".
How can that be done outside the ISO system? See also section 2.4: "The
European Commission shall establish, in collaboration with stakeholders
and relevant standardisation organisations, detailed guidelines and
instructions for implementation to ensure interoperability of metadata.
These will include instructions on how the European standards EN ISO
19115 and EN ISO 19119 shall be used to disseminate INSPIRE metadata,
should one chose to use these standards."  -- Of course ISO standards
are international standards, not European ones. So why not just apply
ISO 19115?

I had a closer look at the Inspire metadata spec today, some quick
observations:
a) ed: no destinction between normative and informative sections of the
spec or between spec and annex, annex should be merged.
b) use of dublin core?
c) references to standard requirements in the annex without proper