[OSGeo-Standards] How to extend OWS Context for several specific cases

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Tue Oct 23 18:36:00 EDT 2007

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> what happens when you export your map with local file-system links in?
A quick answer is a context document with broken links. You should
probably make the decision on relative vs explicit links ;-) If one of
your goals is to reuse a context document between systems; you may want
to look into a "best practice" section on your wiki.
> I'm sure there are guys smarter then me here to answer, and we can act
> in many ways.
> I know some were planning to create a simple zipped format with
> geo-metadata (or just metadata) inside to move such a kind of
> resource.  It would be really cool to have GeoServer or Mapserver
> creating a WebService environment automatically from such a zip file.
> And the same for every Desktop GIS.
Fair enough; make it a zip file that includes a context document to
describe what is going on (in much the same manner as a MANIFEST in a
java jar file). You will need to decide if this is a common enough use
to target at the moment?
> With OpenLayers naturally it is impossible to unzip or create a
> service in Javascript but we can have a "light" or "web" version of
> the Context.
Of more interest to me is the spirit of the existing OWS Context
document; they seem to suck up enough of the capabilities information
from the web service that a client could make the request without
contacting the service further (this is my guess as to why so much
information is bundled in there about service title, or list of named
styles).

Is this crap really needed? The only thing it can be is out of date ...
we are going to need to contact the service anyways.
The only guess I have is that some applications were using this
information as a cache?
> Then your Desktop application should be capable to create both types
> of Context starting from the same map view. One for the server, one
> for the Web client.
If I understand you:
- OWS Context "lite": is the file used to describe a visual map; shared
operation picture; or whatever
- OWS Context "heavy": is a zip file that may contains data and is used
to set up a server?

Difficulty is that you would want to transform your context document to
point at that new server once it was set up; ie so a client could load
the "map" and have the information come from the new server ...

I would focus on just the shared map idea of a context document for the
first cut; having a portable server configuration file is not a bad idea
- but lets first figure out how to record what information goes into a Map.
> To avoid confusion or "Fred's GML profile for rollerblading trails",
> all types of extension should pass through an incubation process as
> OSGeo is doing for its software.
> This will allow new extensions to be tested an publicly available,
> then possibly implemented by all softwares.
Bleck too much; set up a wiki and track new context ideas in the same
manner as open street maps handles new feature types. Let collaboration
and composition sort out the good ideas and leave OSGeo (and a process)
out of it. When we feel we have something good kick it over the wall to
OGC (much like with the WMS tile idea).
> am I totally out of Context?
Have fun,
Jody