access to ISO standards - was Re: [Geotools-devel] [OSGeo-Standards] [Fwd: ImageIO MetaData]

Simon.Cox at csiro.au Simon.Cox at csiro.au
Sun Sep 9 18:45:08 EDT 2007

Dear GeoToolies:

Concerning

"2>ISO 19123 is not available for free, hence this can be a show
stopper for people(I know it is not expensive but still, many OGC
documents are referring to an ISO specification that you are supposed
to pay for. (Well, IMHO, this is quite strange, what does Open stand
for in the acronym OGC? :-) )."

Many of the ISO standards are identical to volumes of the OGC "Abstract
Specification", so the important ones are in fact available under a
different cover from the OGC site. Does not apply to all, and there is
sometimes a time-lag between ISO standards getting issued by ISO and
them getting re-issued as OGC documents, but this issue is actually not
as bad as it seems.

Simon Cox

______
Simon.Cox at csiro.au  CSIRO Exploration & Mining
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151 PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102
AUSTRALIA
T: +61(8) 6436 8639  F: +61(8) 6436 8555 Cell: +61(4) 0330 2672
<http://www.csiro.au>
<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=b&z=18&ll=-31.994,115.886&spn=0.0065
,0.01&t=k>
(UK Cell: +44 78 161 67135)