[Geotools-devel] [OSGeo-Standards] [Fwd: ImageIO MetaData]

Alessio Fabiani alessio.fabiani at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 09:09:00 EDT 2007

Hi all,

the document and XML schema can be found here
https://www.geo-solutions.it/svn/repo/documentation/imageiometadata_for_nd_coverages/

For public access (read only) you can use the following credentials:
username:pub
password:geosolutions

For Marin, I will send you the credentials with write permissions in a
private email.

Regards,
         Alessio.

On 9/7/07, Simone Giannecchini <simboss1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ciao Jody,
> my bad the document did not float around from the start, I think there
> was a misunderstanding between me, Martin and Daniele. But let's put
> things in context :-).
>
> <A bit of history first for whoever may be interested. >
>
> Since I started working with OGC standards more or less 3.5 years ago
> I noticed that while there was an adopted Grid Coverage Implementation
> Specification many other documents where implicitly referring to ISO
> 19123.
> I also felt not comfortable with the fact that there were/are so  many
> different discussion papers/abstract specifications/implementation
> specification and so on trying to come up with a way to
> encode/model/represent GridCoverage metadata, like georeferencing,
> quality metadata, usage metadata, sensor model metadata, etc....
> The bad news is that, IMHO, the situation is not improved over the
> time, well to be honest I think things are getting more intricate,
> since new documents are coming up during the time.
>
> To summarise, the problems I see:
>
> 1>A lot of documents, as I said, refer to ISO 19123 implicitly while,
> afaik at least, GridCoverage IS is still THE adopted specification for
> GridCoverage, afaik at least.
>
> 2>ISO 19123 is not available for free, hence this can be a show
> stopper for people(I know it is not expensive but still, many OGC
> documents are referring to an ISO specification that you are supposed
> to pay for. (Well, IMHO, this is quite strange, what does Open stand
> for in the acronym OGC? :-) ).
>
> 3>GridCoverage IS was made of mainly 3 parts (as far as I can remember
> at least :-) )
>    - GridCoverageExchange  that proposes a model for I/O
>    - GridCoverageProcessor that proposes a model for GridCoverage
> Processing
>    - GridCoverage that proposes a model for GridCoverage
>
> Well ISO19123 does NOT propose anything about I/O or processing
> itself. There might be other ISO specs, I admit my ignorance about
> this, but I also admit that I do not want to get into the Dependency
> Graph of ISO specs which could cost me a few thousands Euros :-).
>
> So the problem here is that it apparently seems that the new de-facto
> standard for GridCoverages is ISO19123 but the latter covers  a
> smaller area than GC IS. How are are we supposed to I/O and
> processing? (as I said other specs may be involved, no idea yet).
>

> 4>While GridCoverage IS make a shy attempt to deal with metadata, ISO
> 19123 leave the thing mostly aside. Is it good, is it bad? Not sure...
> Probably  metadata should be handled somewhere else but I don't think
> the situation can be improved just leaving asides.
>

> 5>While ISO 19123 seems to focus only on a model for Coverage it is
> much more complex than the old GridCoverage IS hence it is not so
> attractive at first given also what I said above, at least IMHO :-).

> [...]

Eng. Alessio Fabiani
Vice-President /CTO GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Carignoni 51
55041  Camaiore (LU)