[OSGeo-Standards] Fw: INSPIRE Annex I Data Specifications Testing : Call for Participation

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Wed Aug 6 13:13:44 EDT 2008

I would suggest that OSGeo members try to participate in this if not
already doing so via OGC. Specifically the work on MetaCRS should
inform the mandated specs for coordinate reference systems and grids.
Reminder: this stuff will become part of European law and any project
which has a user base in European public authorities will need to
support, in future, what the Implmenting Rules mandate.

There is a FOSS SDIC and it makes sense to me to register interest in it
on behalf of this whole list, just so there is a path to the "inside
track".

jo
----- Forwarded message from Paul Smits <paul.smits at jrc.it> -----

   The aim of this message is to draw your attention to the testing of the
   draft INSPIRE Data Specifications for Annex I data themes, which will be
   open for INSPIRE stakeholder participation.

   The testing of the draft INSPIRE Data Specifications is an integral part
   of data specification development, and supplies important information
   about the technical feasibility and the cost-benefit considerations. This
   information will be used to shape the Implementing Rules on
   interoperability of spatial data sets and services, as required in Art
   7(1) of the Directive. The Implementing Rules, once adopted, will become
   law in the EU Member States.

   We have started the organisation of testing the draft data specifications
   related to Annex I data themes, which cover coordinate reference systems,
   geographical grids, geographical names, administrative units, addresses,
   cadastral parcels, transport networks, hydrography, and protected sites.

   The Call for Participation published on the INSPIRE website
   (http://www.ec-gis.org/inspire/reports/ImplementingRules/DataSpecifications/INSP_testing_CfP_final.pdf)
   invites all interested stakeholders to participate, and provides the
   necessary details. Background documentation required for the testing, like
   the draft data specifications, templates, and aspects related to
   cost-benefit considerations, will be made available in September 2008.

   If your organisation, project or network is interested to participate but
   not registered as an INSPIRE "Spatial Data Interest Community" or "Legally
   Mandated Organisation", please register as such through the INSPIRE
   website, or, even better if possible, consider teaming up with an existing
   SDIC. Participation will help to understand how existing data can be made
   available according to the common data specifications, to demonstrate the
   usefulness of harmonised specifications, and to determine the readiness of
   relevant methods and software tools. All contributions to the testing are
   in-kind.

   The testing period spans from mid-October 2008 till mid February 2009. For
   organisational reasons, prospective participants are invited to indicate
   their interest for participation by 1 September by sending an e-mail to
   Freddy Fierens (freddy.fierens at jrc.it). The formal registration for the
   testing must be done through the INSPIRE web-site
   (http://www.ec-gis.org/inspire/) from 15 August and will close on 15
   September 2008.

   Best regards,

   The INSPIRE team

   Dr. Paul C. Smits

   European Commission, Joint Research Centre,
   Institute for Environment and Sustainability,
   Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262

   Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy

   Tel: +39 0332 78 5279

   Fax: +39 0332 78 6325

   e-mail: paul.smits at jrc.it

   SDI Unit: http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

   IES Institute: http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

   JRC: http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

   The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may

   not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official

   position of the European Commission.

----- End forwarded message -----