[OSGeo-Standards] WMS-C and Capabilities

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Tue Aug 26 15:16:12 EDT 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:53:33AM -0700, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> This discussion is fascinating to me as it does not align with my
>> expectations ... my expectation is that this
>> WMS-C documents some additional vendor specific capabilities that are
>> added to an existing WMS (much like SLD support is added to an existing
>> WMS).
>>
>> As such I am expecting to see a WMS with vendor specific capabilities
>> letting me know that some TileSets are available; and that if I call the
>> existing GetMap operation in just the right way I can make use of it.
>>
>> So I was not expecting to see a standalone TileCache.
>>
> Right. I'm not aware of any caching tile server which also serves
> non-cached data with regular WMS requests, but the WMS spec was designed
> to allow that.

I was more thinking for a WMS implementation that had some caching
support built in. Sounds like we have set up the convention to allow for
this; but lack a proof of concept.

However the point is made - Andrea is correctly describing the existing
implementations. While this is not what I expected I can certainly roll
with it; now if only there was a good way to tell where the source WMS
server is :-P

Thanks for answering my questions everyone.
Jody