[OSGeo-Standards] Re: Fw: [geo-discuss] INSPIRE Draft Implementing Rules for Discovery and View Services

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Tue Jan 29 18:25:55 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 01:53:48PM +0100, Piergiorgio Cipriano wrote:
>    Jo, have you already started with organic vegetables?

:) No, instead I spent a day or two reading everything on the blogosphere
about the scandal over the DIS2950/OOXML vote, wrote a long rant
http://frot.org/on_standards/ and let myself forget about it for a while.

>    http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Response_to_INSPIRE_Discovery_and_View_Draft
>    I've updated it, re-formatting existing comments in a "Inspire-like"
>    table.

Thankyou! I've been writing an OpenSearch-based alternative interface
for an INSPIRE discovery service and have some notes backed up.
I will try to make sure i contribute anything i have to the Response
by the 14th.

>    Actually, I'd like to collect your comments on SOAP and other issues and
>    forward them to CEN TC 287 WG5 (i'm involved in): this WG is the only
>    active at CEN level, and it is responsible for acceptance/refusal of
>    ISO19100 standards at EN level.

I have nothing worth saying about SOAP/REST for OGC web services.
The GeoServer community has held off from implementing SOAP in the past.
A couple of posts to the bigger OSGeo lists haven't gathered much
feedback on the subject of SOAP interfaces to 'view services' on
client and server. (WFS, WMS). It might be worth emailing project
maintainers / PSCs personally to find strong opinions or usage data
that it would be helpful to share with the Commission and CEN.
I would be quite happy to ping the relevant PSC chairs and ask.

Arnulf is a lot more au fait with "The State Of..." than me, i think.

>    WG5 2008-2009 activities are:
>    - prEN 19128, 19131, 19137 votes (next week)
>    - votes on other ISO docs (in april: DIS19115-2)
>    - update TR15449 (Geographic information - Standards, specifications,
>    technical reports and guidelines, required to implement Spatial Data
>    Infrastructure)
>    - profiling EN-ISO19100 standards and supporting Inspire DTs

Thanks for keeping us updated, and good luck!

jo