[OSGeo-Standards] Standard For Photo Descriptions?

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:40:43 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> wrote:

> Raj,
>
> I was hoping to have some sort of text file that could be edited by
> users without special software. I don't think this would be possible
> with EXIF.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.

I would second Raj's suggestion and stick to EXIF. It is one of the
more well designed metadata storage mechanisms that is embedded inside
the data it is described, travels with it, and yet, can be easily
queried, edited and explored programmatically.

If the metadata are not *inside* the photo, they will sooner or later
get separated from the data, the photo, and you will have a mess on
your hands.

If you need users to see/edit the EXIF information, heck, they can use
many commercial, freeware, open source, and even closed source
software packages to do so.

If only geographic metadata were like EXIF.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org/
Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/