[OSGeo-Standards] Standard For Photo Descriptions?

Michael Ashbridge mtj.ashbridge at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 01:26:52 EST 2009

You could use KML for this purpose without much abuse of the standard at
all.

Combine these two documents into one:
  http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/photos.html
  http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/extendeddata.html

If you have to maintain a lot of metadata it might not be ideal, but the
bonus is you can load your file and see your photos in Google Earth.

Here's a rough sketch:

<PhotoOverlay>
  <name>My Cool Photo</name>

  <!-- Authorial information for this file -->
  <atom:author>
    <atom:name>Michael Ashbridge</atom:name>
  </atom:author>
  <atom:link href="http://libkml.googlecode.com"/>

  <!-- Information for the "description balloon" in the mapping
       application. If not supplied, an HTML table is generated
       from the content of ExtendedData. -->
  <description>This is my cool photo...</description>

  <!-- Or use <TimeSpan> to supply a range -->
  <TimeStamp>
    <when>2009-02-04T22:17:00-08:00</when>
  </TimeStamp>

  <!-- Arbitrary metadata as name-value pairs -->
  <ExtendedData>
    <Data name="job-id">
      <value>your job id</value>
    </Data>
    <Data name="camera-info">
      <value>your camera info</value>
    </Data>
    <!-- etc. etc. -->
  </ExtendedData>

  <!-- The photo resource. Can be http://server.come/photo.jpg -->
  <Icon>
    <href>path/to/my/photo.jpg</href>
  </Icon>

  <!-- How the photo is drawn -->
  <rotation>0</rotation>
  <ViewVolume>
    <leftFov>-30</leftFov>
    <rightFov>30</rightFov>
    <bottomFov>-20</bottomFov>
    <topFov>20</topFov>
    <near>10</near>
  </ViewVolume>

  <!-- Where the photo is drawn -->
  <Point>
    <coordinates>-122.0, 37.0, 0.0</coordinates>
  </Point>

  <shape>rectangle</shape>

</PhotoOverlay>