[OSGeo-Standards] Re: Metadata Standards and ISO 19139

Piergiorgio Cipriano pg.cipriano at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 13:06:10 EST 2009

Arnold, even if the "I" in ISO does not stand for "isOpen" ... ISO too
published schemas available for free:
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/ISO_19139_Schemas/

And somewhere on web you also find available old draft (*) documentation:
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/pub/Infosrvices/AnzlicIsoMetadata/19139_DTS20051008.pdf
(DTS stands for "Draft Techcnical Specification)

pg

2009/11/23 Arnulf Christl <arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com>

> Scott Schwab wrote:
>
>> The corporation I work for has had a few contracts with the US government,
>> and over the last couple of years these customers have been asking for
>> ISO19115/19139 metadata, replacing the request for FGDC.  The code to
>> generate the ISO 19139 documents is more complicated and the generated
>> output is much more verbose, compared to FGDC.  The ISO output is large
>> enough that you really need a tool like CatMDEdit to qc the output.
>>
>> I have wondered if the customers are just saying they want the ISO 19115
>> format, not because of a need but just because an international standard
>> sounds better in contract negotiations,
>>
>> And just for a bit of clarification, the ISO 19115 is an international
>> standard (140 pages), but it does not specify what the XML tags should
>> really look like.  To produce XML, you need the ISO 19139 technical
>> specification (112 pages). To my knowledge neither document is free.

> Remember that the "O" in OGC stands for Open[1]. Whatever ISO standard is
> part of an OGC standard means that relevant information is available royalty
> free on OGC websites (as it is stated in the OGC bylaws). For example here:
> http://schemas.opengis.net/iso/19139/
>
> This is one of reasons that they put up with the oftentimes onerous task of
> running specs through TC 211. Thanks OGC folks.
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] which are remnants of the Open Source background of OGC which they take
> very serious.

Piergiorgio Cipriano