[OSGeo-Standards] symbology encoding transformation functions

Michael Bedward michael.bedward at gmail.com
Thu May 20 22:35:26 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I couldn't find an easily searchable archive for this list so
apologies if the following question has been asked many times
before...

I'm working on implementation of the SE 1.1 functions Recode,
Categorize and Interpolate in the GeoTools library. I'm wondering
whether my interpretation of the SE 1.1 spec when it comes to fallback
value is correct.

The spec says...
"The value of the fallbackValue attribute is used as a default value,
if the SE implementation does not support the function. If the
implementation supports the function, then the result value is
determined by executing the function."

So I think that means that, for instance, the Recode function should
return null, and not the fallback value, when a lookup value can't be
matched.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm that or set me straight if
my reading of the spec is incorrect.

Michael