[OSGeo-Standards] [Board] Status of the 10 OGC slots for OSGeo members
Michael P. Gerlek
mpg at flaxen.com
Tue Aug 14 15:55:17 PDT 2012
If I recall from my original thoughts on this…
* A Token Oversight and Allocation Committee (TOAC) would act on behalf of the OSGeo Board to track allocation, usage, and revocation of the tokens. The TOAC would consist of 2-3 folks, including at least one OSGeo board member and one OGC staff person. TOAC members to volunteer, and should have both OSGeo and OGC experience. OSGeo Board to appoint initial TOAC chair, etc, just like other osgeo committees operate.
* TOAC should rarely require any actual meetings; emails should suffice.
* Requests for tokens would be made by email, with an explanation of what the token would be used for and why OSGeo should care. TOAC should respond promptly to requests.
* Tokens would be allocated allocated for a fixed period of time (6-12 months?). After that period, the token holder would be required to report on his or her use of the token -- nothing onerous, just an email to the TOAC explaining what he is doing in OGC-land and why OSGeo should care.
* Renewals for tokens should be simple -- as long as no one else is waiting for a token, and as long as the token holder is reporting that he is doing Good and Useful Stuff, then another 6-12 months should be granted.
* Token requestors may be any OSGeo community member (need not be a Charter member or whatever).
* TOAC should report regularly (6-12 months) to OSGeo board and OGC mgmt on use of the tokens. Again, just a decent email would suffice.
* In the event of token demand exceeding token supply, the TOAC should arbitrate based on both (1) how long each token has been in use by one person and (2) hope valuable the usage of that token has been. TOAC to use a consensus-based approach, based on token usage supporting the goals of the foundation.
On Aug 14, 2012, at 3:38 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest that it would be a good idea to document a process for allocating the OGC membership token.
> Andrea, as you are probably the person with the most pressing need, would you be interested in putting together a first draft for what such a process might look like?
> I'd suggest starting the Draft process here somewhere:
> If the process is suitably complete, we can discuss and sign off on it it at the next board meeting.
> Items which I think should be considered in the process:
> * Why would we give the membership to one person over another?
> * Who would approve the allocation of OGC membership to someone? The board? Other OGC members?
> * What expectations would we have OSGeo/OGC members?
> * How long would OSGeo/OGC membership last? What would be the process for retiring/replacing a member?
> * Where would we list the current OSGeo/OGC members? (I'd like to know who is on this list now)
> On 15/08/2012 1:28 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>> Hey, fellow Boarders, do we have anyone who owns this topic?
>> On Aug 14, 2012, at 5:29 AM, Andrea Aime <andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm wondering what is the status of the 10 OGC personal membership slots
>>> that were given to OSGeo.
>>> Are they all taken? If not, is there a particular procedure to follow in order
>>> to get one of those?
>>> Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more information.
>>> Ing. Andrea Aime
>>> Technical Lead
>>> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
>>> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
>>> 55054 Massarosa (LU)
>>> phone: +39 0584 962313
>>> fax: +39 0584 962313
>>> mob: +39 339 8844549
>>> Standards mailing list
>>> Standards at lists.osgeo.org
>> Board mailing list
>> Board at lists.osgeo.org
> On 15/08/2012 3:14 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>> I know I posted some ideas for managing this many months ago, perhaps before I was on the board…
>> I'll add two things to the next mtg agenda:
>> - formalize process for allocating and reviewing OGC memberships
>> - give one to Andrea Aime (assuming we have an extra one available)
>> On Aug 14, 2012, at 8:58 AM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>>> Hi mpg and fellow Board members,
>>> I'm one of the ones using a slot (I thought it was 6 not 10, but maybe a
>>> few years ago it was 6 available). My process was that I responded on
>>> discuss or wherever when I heard of this, and then Arnulf put me in
>>> touch with an OGC membership person.
>>> I am not aware of a formal process.
>>> On 12-08-14 12:28 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>>>> Hey, fellow Boarders, do we have anyone who owns this topic?
>>> Board mailing list
>>> Board at lists.osgeo.org
>> Board mailing list
>> Board at lists.osgeo.org
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Solutions Manager
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
> Board mailing list
> Board at lists.osgeo.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Standards