[OSGeo-Standards] [Board] Status of the 10 OGC slots for OSGeo members

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Sep 13 07:37:27 PDT 2012

On 12-09-13 9:33 AM, Volker Mische wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I don't agree. I think meeting in person is definitely a great thing.
> Though I still feel connected to the OGC SWG I'm part of, although I've
> never met anyone of those people in person.
>
> The OSGeo slots (as I understand them) are for people who do it in their
> free-time and don't work for a geospatial company that would benefit
> from their work there (else the company should be a member). I don't
> think those people have the time to attend a TC meeting. This is from my
> personal experience, I might be wrong though.

Hi Volker,

I definitely cannot argue with how you feel.  For myself, I am trying to
imagine being active in OSGeo as I have been for so long, and yet never
attending an OSGeo/FOSS4G event once - I can't imagine that.  So, I
propose we do send an OSGeo rep to the TC meetings (maybe once a year we
do this, and rotate it between members).  But it is just a proposal.  I
understand you and others will disagree with me here, but Arnulf asked
for ideas on how to engage OSGeo with OGC and this is my proposal.

-jeff