[OSGeo-Standards] [Board] Status of the 10 OGC slots for OSGeo members

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 17:43:43 PDT 2012

Arnulf,
I feel like this question, and measure of success about OGC/OSGeo
involvement is framed incorrectly, and is not taking account of
associated business cases.

There is already a reasonable amount of OSGeo involvement in OGC
testbeds, it just happens under another banner. I can speak to
LISAsoft's case. We are OGC members, and we make use of, and sometimes
extend OSGeo software as part of these testbeds. We are doing this work
under a LISAsoft banner, but OSGeo gains the fruits of this work, which
is good. There are a number of other OSGeo companies doing something
similar.

The OGC has been increasing their engagement with Open Source, and are
now using words in RFQs where Open Source options are accepted, and in
some areas even preferred. I'd consider this increased interest in Open
Source as one measure of success.

I think there is still a need for OGC sponsors to greater recognise the
different business models between Open Source and Proprietary. In
particular, that Open Source businesses need to be paid up front for
work done, as they can't sell developed product later. Proprietary
businesses can give away effort at a testbed, then recoup costs later
when selling the product.

Which leads to another point. Standards development is time consuming
and hence expensive. As such, you tend not to have volunteers making
significant contributions to standards unless there is a sponsor paying
someone to work on the standards.

However, I could see value in the OGC providing reduced membership costs
for active OSGeo developers (or OSGeo development companies) in order to
increase the incentive for Open Source implementations of standards.
(the 10 OGC slots would be partly facilitating this).

With regards to travel. The OGC does provide limited travel budget for
participants in some of the OGC initiatives already. OSGeo should not be
paying for such travel as attending OGC meetings is not OSGeo's core
mandate, and we already have OSGeo companies being paid to attend OGC
meetings.
However, I could see value in co-locating an OGC and FOSS4G event in
order to facilitate joint participation.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally